Iditarod 2009: Sunday Update

Greetings! I don't know about you, but I'm having a hard time believing it was exactly a week ago that the SP Kennel teams started the Iditarod. I'm not sure whether I'm having a harder time with the fact that it has "already" been a week or that is has "only" been a week!

The teams are both in a communications "dead zone" on the Yukon river portion of the trail, so we know practically nothing about what is going on. We do know that Aliy was 13th into Kaltag this morning, still within six hours of all the leaders except Lance. That continues to be really good news and we are all very excited for her. She completed her mandatory 8-hour rest on the Yukon back in Eagle Island, and her speed en route was among the fastest... Go Aliy!


Allen is cruising right along on his way to Eagle Island. He has also completed his mandatory 8-hour rest, and he still has 13 dogs! What a story this could turn out to be... Go Allen!

Speaking of stories... There's nothing going on here in Nome today -- and no way for me to get out on the trail -- so I'm taking the day to finish up a story that I've been working on all week. I hope to have it posted this evening, and all I will tell you in advance is that it is a very, very happy story... Stay tuned!

Labels: , ,