2010 Mushing Adventure Trips : Wildlife

SP Kennel coordinates "Natural Extremes" Mushing Trips every year after Iditarod. These are fun dog team adventures for the mushers, dogs and the guests. This past March and April, we spent almost a month exploring the western coast of Alaska with three groups of guests.

This video footage hopefully provides a glimpse of our adventures.

The Wildlife Excerpt

When I think about the "Alaskan World", I think about all of the creatures - big and small - who share the wilderness with us. Often times, when I am mushing a team of Alaskan Huskys down a trail, I will get a funny feeling that we are being watched. Sometimes, I will catch a quick view of a red fox or a wolf, if I am lucky. And sometimes I will see the dogs all look in one direction simultaneously and I'll know that we have company. But, more often than not, the wildlife in Alaska is smart and savvy and they will see us far more often than we will see them.


The video that follows is the best wildlife footage from the trips. As you will notice, sometimes wildlife cooperates and sometimes, it doesn't. I apologize for the shakiness of the camera. More often than not, I was not prepared for wildlife viewing.

You have to keep a good sense of humor when dealing with wildlife and brisk winter conditions. Some of you might wonder how a duck could possibly survive this far north, but I promise you .... he was there!!


Labels: