Iditarod 2009: The Happy Finish!

Here she is! Happy crossing the finish line in Nome and getting some very special attention!

I regret to report that I do not yet have any video of the actual smooch! While I was busy smooching Happy's bottom, Aliy was using my camera to catch the still shots. If anybody has video of the moment, please let me know in the comments and we'll figure out a way to post it!

Meanwhile, here's what I've got to offer you now:



Many thanks to all of you who have been so enthusiastic, supportive and creative about "The Happy Story!" I've tried to keep up with the chat rooms and I am truly touched and inspired by all of your comments and suggestions. Just two of my favorites so far:

1) Thanks to "peanut" for the idea of a children's story that could begin: "Once upon a time, in a land far way, lived a Happy little girl made famous by a kiss." -- Fabulous!

2) Thanks to "mitten" for this t-shirt slogan: "I'm Happy, so kiss my butt!" -- Perfect!

How about this one that just occurred to me: "There's a little bit of Happy in all of us!"

Please leave your ideas in the comments, and I promise that as soon as the snow settles I will pursue your suggestions for Happy stuff -- patches, t-shirts, hats, mugs, whatever. And if anybody can get Happy booked on Ellen... I love that idea!

Meanwhile, Happy will be resting in Nome for a couple of days then flying to Anchorage for the drive back to SP Kennel in Two Rivers. Just two days later, she will be traveling with Aliy, Allen and 30+ other dogs to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in the remote North Slope of Alaska for a few weeks of Natural Extremes mushing adventures. These fantastic trips take people into the heart of the north Alaskan interior where motorized vehicles are prohibited. Everyone drives their own dog sled team and camps out in what may be the most pristine wilderness left on earth. Trips are full for this year, so you'll have to book early for next year! Go to Natural Extremes for more information.

Despite having just run 1,000+ miles from Anchorage to Nome on the Iditarod, I can assure you that Happy will be very happy running in the ANWR. With no pressures of racing or the paparazzi, she and all the dogs enjoy doing what they love most: Running, running, running in the great outdoor wilderness. And that's another part of "The Happy Story!"

Labels: , , , ,